If you know someone who's building their own house, and when we say building it, we mean them and not a builder (big difference) here are a few tips on what NOT TO SAY!!!!
Our 'Top 10' of the most annoying and testing things you can say to two people who have devoted the last three years of their lives to building a house are:-
- I remember having the extension built on our house, such hard work (key difference there....having it "built" for you).
- What are you doing this weekend? (The same as we have been doing for the last 150 odd weekends).
- It's taking a long time to do isn't it. (We're building a house in our spare time).
- Still doing DIY? (Don't even get us started on the difference between self-building and DIY).
- Why don't you just do it this way...? (You honestly think we haven't thought of that?)
- When do you think you'll be in? (Soon. And it's been soon since the 16th July 2009).
- I couldn't do it (well don't then).
- You need a team of people to help you (and you'd get another list of 10 reasons why that is a disaster waiting to happen).
- You must be tired. (Tired happened Christmas 2009, try again.)
- Can't you just move in anyway? (Occupancy certificate? Structural warranty sign off? Building Control approval? Insurances? Shall we go on....?)
We've heard them all, several times. We know people are just trying to empathise and be supportive (most of the time). But please. Enough now.
One of the best things that you can say, which was said to me last week, is quite simply....
"Wow. You are amazing. Well done".
And then prepare for that person to burst in to tears!