Sunday, 7 March 2010

On The Plinth

Yesterday we stuck the blue bricks on top of the plinth around the garage.

That was followed by a trip into town on the hunt for an oven for Halfway House as it doesn't have one. We were unsuccessful with the oven, but did get three soil pipes, a sack truck and the three toilets we wanted as they were on a half price offer and we were also given a further 10% off!

Wednesday, 3 March 2010

New (temporary) Home!

I picked up the keys to Halfway House today. Hooray! One step closer to where we're going to be - just got to jump the wall and we'll be home!

(This is the view from our plot into the garden of Halfway House)

We move in the weekend of the 20th/21st March after some cleaning of the kitchen and bathroom. Apparently professional cleaners leave crumbs in kitchen drawers - and if we make a note of it on our inventory, we can leave crumbs when we leave too. I kid you not.

Slightly disappointed that we're going to have to clean (or maybe my standards are too high?) but other than that it's fine. It will make such a difference to a lot of things when we're just round the corner.

Monday, 1 March 2010

Still Soldering On

It's a month to the day since we last did an update. This hasn't been because we have been slacking off, it's just that what we've been doing has been pretty much the same for the last month - plumbing!

The hot and cold water loops are complete on the bedroom wing which is the most complex as it has the bathroom and ensuite. Now over to the living area and kitchen and cloakroom, and then across to the utility room. It has all gone really well and Darran has done a great job considering he hasn't ever done this kind of thing before.

The soldering of the joints has gone to plan. The real proof will be in the pressure test. No fires with the blow torch either, not even small ones (other than a slight charring of the flux brush)!

In other news, we now have electricity in the house which is a big tick. We have an isolator switch in the garage which is connected to the meter and have laid armoured cable (or ****** armoured cable as it was known pretty soon after we realised how difficult it is to do anything with) across the breezeway and into the lobby area to a consumer unit. We can now get on with the electrics when the plumbing has been completed.